RAYMOND A. GIULIANI, JR.
Senior Executive with extensive experience in converting electric power and natural gas industry innovations from theory into practice. Strengths include providing vision, direction, and leadership. Distinguished career built on a firm education foundation including a Stanford University MBA, Georgia Tech BS in Engineering and a CPA earned while working at KPMG.
Independent Consultant, Mt. Juliet, TN 2009-Present
Consultant on a number of energy issues ranging from investment due diligence to the mitigation of project completion risk. Engaged in wind, solar, and transmission new technology implementations.
PJM ISO, Valley Forge, PA 2008-2009
A revenue neutral for-profit electric grid operator formed by the PJM Transmission Owners to enable the deregulation of the electric power industry in the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland region.
- With Sr. VP of Markets and his staff, developed Market Operations Division strategic plan.
- Analyzed processing of opportunities for the PJM Technologies subsidiary.
- Advised on market impacts of energy efficiency, demand-side and renewables integration.
- Assessed feasibility of various SMART Grid initiatives.
ERCOT ISO, Austin, TX 2002-2008
A not-for-profit electric grid operator formed by the Texas legislature to enable the deregulation of the $30B electric power industry in the ERCOT reliability region covering most of Texas.
Vice President and Chief of Market Operations
- Provided leadership and direction to staff for all wholesale and retail market interfacing operations.
- Re-engineered Member Services Division to be focused on achieving maximum satisfaction for 200+ member companies.
- Synchronized wholesale and retail transaction processing reducing disputes from $800+ million to zero.
- Managed project management processes including percentage completion assessments.
- Established an approach for ERCOT, Texas transmission owners and the Public Utility Commission of Texas staff to deploy new “smart” meter technology for every customer in Texas.
- Presented monthly reports to the Board of Directors.
- Delivered expert witness testimony in proceedings before the PUCT and Texas legislature.
GRIDSOUTH ISO, Charlotte, NC 2001- 2002
A start-up for-profit electric grid operator sponsored by Duke Energy, Progress Energy and SCANA Corporation to enable the deregulation of the electric power industry in North and South Carolina.
Chief Financial Officer & Chief Information Officer
- Developed organization and infrastructure.
IBM GLOBAL SERVICES, Dallas, TX 1996-2001
Worldwide leading provider of large-scale computing and technology services.
- Focused on new systems and outsourcing solutions for the deregulated electric power industry.
EXCHANGE DEVELOPMENT COMPANY, L.L.C., Atlanta, GA 1994-1996
An incubator for the creation of a centralized balancing market for natural gas.
- Founded this company to create ANGEX – The American Natural Gas Exchange.
- Engaged CS First Boston to raise $15 million seed capital.
- Established strategic relationships with Reuters America and the Options Clearing Corp.
ELECTRONIC DATA SYSTEMS CORPORATION (“EDS”) , Atlanta, GA 1992-1993
Worldwide leading provider of data processing services.
Vice President, Utilities Division
- Merged operations of Energy Management Associates into EDS.
- Lead division of engineers, information technology professionals and industry experts.
ENERGY MANAGEMENT ASSOCIATES, INC., Atlanta, GA 1978-1992
Premier provider of niche software applications and related services to 150 utilities in the U.S., Canada, Australia and Great Britain. MERGED INTO EDS CORPORATION in 1992.
dual responsibilities – Chief Financial Officer & Vice President of Natural Gas Industry Practice
- Executed leveraged buy-out of the former parent company and steadily increased shareholder value at an average annual rate of 62% per year over a 14 year period.
- Developed operation simulation software tools used routinely to by electric and gas utilities.
- Established controls and reporting for software development projects.
- Negotiated 300+ large customer software licenses and administered contracts.
- Performed due diligence and acquired first emission credits trading entity.
- Performed a technology risk assessment which guided the strategic direction to merge into EDS.
KPMG, Atlanta, GA 1975-1978
Worldwide leading provider of audit, tax and advisory services.
Certified Public Accountant – audited financial institutions and manufacturing operations.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATIONS and BOARD AFFILIATIONS
MBA, Finance and Accounting
STANFORD UNIVERSITY, Stanford Business School, Palo Alto, CA
BS, Industrial and Systems Engineering
GEORGIA INSTITUE OF TECHNOLOGY, Atlanta, GA
CPA, CERTIFIED PUBLIC ACCOUNTANT, State of Georgia
Past Board Member, NORTH AMERICAN ENERGY STANDARDS BOARD representing ERCOT